Wow, I haven’t been here in a while. Apologies. You know… Life. Here’s what’s been going on:
- We just got back from a youth retreat called Youth Councils that was held for youth from all over Wisconsin and the UP. I helped lead worship. It was a blast, if totally exhausting. We played music in 5 meetings, I lead a break out session on leading worship music, and I emceed a dance/rave. It was all super rad. I think there will be some pictures/video surfacing soon, so I might post a little something when I get it.
- Doing this dance party thing wet my appetite for DJing. So I’ve been looking at getting some gear. I’m really pumped to learn how to do this. Maybe I can play your wedding. I hope you like dubstep.
- I went shopping yesterday to get some pants. I came home with two sweater/shirts, a cardigan, a shirt and tie combo, and a pair of GLOVES. No pants.
- I’m in the process of filming a gear update. Because I know you’re all interested.
- I started writing some post-rock tunes again. I finally got a looping pedal back on my board, and it’s a lot more fun to play alone with one of those. Expect some rough cuts sometime. (Yeah, like he hasn’t said THAT before)
- I had a nightmare where I was stuck in an old house, pressed against the double doors in the front, because we were being attacked by zombies and dire wolves. I held them off with nothing but my bare hands. And a water bottle, for whatever reason. I think how deeply involved in Game of Thrones I am is finally getting to me.
- I’m going yard saling today. I was going to type “yard sailing,” but that seems to me to be something completely different. Anyway, I want to find a bike. Or maybe a guitar.
- My dad told me this story that one time he was out at a garage sale when he spotted this WWII era Gibson arch-top buried in this guy’s stuff. He went to pull out his wallet and didn’t have any money. So he asked the guy how much he wanted, and it was in the tens of dollars. So my dad told him to hold it for him while he ran to the bank. Now, this story takes place in a world without internet, so my dad buys the guitar, takes it to a music shop, and sells it for like, $300. Which, at the time, he was sure was a pretty sweet deal. In hindsight, that guitar could have been worth $300,000. He doesn’t like when I bring that story up.
- Oh! I keep forgetting. I start a new bullet point and something else creeps from my mind to my fingers. Anyway, I changed the title to my blog. Alban Arthuan. Which will probably just make you scratch your head. Unless, perhaps, you used Google. In which case, you may still be scratching your head. Alban Arthuan is the Celtic phrase for something they called “the time between times.” This was like dusk, between day and night, or dawn, between night and day, etc. These times were very spiritual and magical in Celtic culture and mythos. I changed the title of my blog to this because this is where I find myself right now- a time between times. I’m there in my personal life, musical life, spiritual life… It seemed fitting. So this is a record of my going from one time to another time in my life, and maybe bringing you all along for the ride. The subtitle is from a song by AWOLNATION. It’s gonna take a little time.